Sunday, January 17, 2010

First Parisian Day

Today was my first day in Paris, and what a marvelous day it was!

I started my journey early Saturday morning with a flight from Detroit to Philly, where I had a 6-hour layover...blergh. But! I am a firm believer that this is truly a small world as I met a woman (at an airport food court of all places) who was also flying to Paris to return to work.  She is a former study abroad student and government teaching assistant, who offered me marvelous advice as well as her card to keep in contact! And Brian, if you're reading this, I did meet her in philly...so I guess it's not so bad after all ;).

Upon my arrival, I noticed pretty quickly that Parisians in general are quite kind and very quick to help.  Almost each time I've spoken french, I've been spoken to in French and have understood! Hooray for my college degree helping me in some way! About Paris in general: I told Courtney this, but one thing I noticed immediately is that many things, like buildings, are so much older in France (Europe in general, too).  I literally could be looking at a wall or cemetery or building from medieval times...unbelievable. 

At any rate, after flying over the pond, I arrived in Paris early in the morning to quite balmy weather (compared to Midwest winters).  After a nap and some much needed relax and re-gather time, I ventured out to meet Courtney at her très cool apartment. I hadn't really eaten much since arriving, so Courtney and I made our way to the Place de la Bastille (near my homestay) for some dinner and a much needed catch-up conversation! I had a delicious braised lamb leg with potatoes, oh my goshhh...drool. We walked around the Champs-Elysées to see the Arc de Triomphe, after which we went to the Eiffel tower and watched the mini-sparkle show on the hour.  I have to say, while standing there, looking at this massive steel structure glittering and towering over the city, I couldn't actually believe I was standing in front of it in real form.  It felt so unreal, and then it dawned on me that I was really in Paris, and that my adventure could truly begin.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...