Monday, March 15, 2010

Returning to the life I love

Alright, so after break, I felt slightly rejuvenated, also completely lazy about getting back to work, but that's fairly normal, especially when you live in a city where there is a multitude of things to do! I can't believe it is March 15. I've been here for almost 2 months now, time seems to be flying by ! I am always trying to live in the present here, but it is hard not to think about that sad day in July when I'll leave my new home to return to the old.  Ok, thoughts on that are done, back to the interesting stuff happening now! Last week we had a bit of work coming back from break, maybe some I should have done while relaxing during the week, but that is neither here nor there.  Exam last thursday in History of Paris. The thing about parisian exams is that they are more about regurgitation and synthesis of a lot of material all at once (in essence, the questions are much less specific and a little difficult to answer).  My reward was getting a free trip to Reims with my program!

Reims is located in the Champagne region of France (yes, they also make it there, too! Whoa!).  It is famous for two things, one you already know now, and the other being a cathedral. But not just any cathedral, the cathedral where quasiment (mostly, almost all of) the french kings were "crowned," it is also representative of the very high point of gothic architecture.  Because France was heavily bombed during World War 2, there is some damage still both inside and outside, but, like all other buildings in France, it is always being restored (funded by Rockefeller in this case!). Inside these is a fantastic, modern stained glass window designed by Marc Chagall, which is interesting in contrast to the medieval cathedral.  After the cathedral, we had a lunch (free lunch!) and then went for a tour of some Champagne Caves (Pommery).  There was some sort of modern art business going on amongst these old caves with crazy music, it was an experience, that's for sure, BUT we got to taste champagne, and now you know my reasoning for taking this free trip :)

After that, back to Paris again, my home! This weekend, I went out with some friends here, had a lovely time and discovered a new band, General Elektriks, which is totally awesome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgY0CKaJaG8 .

Saturday and Sunday were lovely days of sleeping and "flâne"ing (walking without purpose), followed by a little studying. Sarah and I found SUSHI! So many rolls, with our wasabi and soy sauce combo, SO GOOD! After, we met up with our friend Julia to enjoy some Berthillon ice cream. Famous in Paris, especially for the fruity flavors and the Chantilly. You cannot forget the huge mound of delicious chantilly for 0,60. I also took a picture of a cool sunset happening against the façade of Notre-Dame.  After these 2 months, it still amazes me that I can walk around and be amongst such historical treasure.  I come out of the metro, there is Notre Dame, out of the metro again, Panthéon, again, so on. I'm in fricking PARIS.


Ok, off cloud 9 for a sec, Sunday, amidst the walking was also the France-Italie rugby match. France won (of course :P), and the stadium was packed! The sports fans here rival those of the Packers or of any strong college football team, they cheer all the time, everyone is wearing the french colors, there are flags everywhere, they sing songs, it's totally great (plus you have a beer or two, not bad!). All in all, not a bad week, lots of fun with french friends and IES friends, living the life here in frog-land!

Bisous


KelsY

PS here's a pic of where I go to school at the Sorbonne, right at the end of the Jardins du Luxembourg:

1 comment:

  1. K- As always a true pleasure to read your blog. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...