Friday, July 2, 2010

Lookin' for some hot stuff...and Cider mill donuts

Wow, the time does pass ! Is it the end of june already, really ? What have I been doing, you may ask? Well, I apologize, my blog has been about as interesting as watching the grass grow, there are so many things I want to say, some many thoughts, things going on...let me fill you in. 

SO I was in my tiny European car today, a Renault Clio, diesel, MANUAL, whaaaaat?  Kelsy learned how to drive a manual and still has all her limbs ? Yes !  Anyway, I was in the car, and on the radio I heard a familiar beat, catchy, makes you wanna dance, you know that beat.  And there it was, Donna Summers 'Hot Stuff', on my crappy french radio, I don't know if it was that, or maybe the discussion I had with some fellow michiganders about Dexter Cider Mill Donuts, maybe it's cause I just had a wonderful weekend with Bailey...but man, I miss AMERICA. I think it's also because the end of june  traditionally marks the beginning of vacation spent up at the cottage in the UP (for all you folks who aren't familiar with this acronym, it's da Upper Peninsula of Michigan).  It's always such a great family time eating hot dogs and brats, making strawberry shortcake, having bonfires, swimming in the lake, watching the fireworks, celebrating my birthday, cribbage tournaments (where my yoopers at who play cribbage ?). We also follow the Tour de France (Tour 'day' 'France'-Bob Roll)  religiously, butttt I am in France, so I win on that account :).  This year, I'll be celebrating my birthday a little early in Paris with friends :) and am really looking forward to it,  but you still can't beat a birthday bonfire on lake Michigan. 95% of the time, I love France, I love the culture and the country, even the stubbornness of its opinionated people (it's all that cheese and history), but the rest of me is ready for a Michigan football game, a hotdog off the street, getting to work again at Zingerman's...all the things I love. I am glad I'll get a good 4 months of solid America time in before moving to France again (Paris !). 

Bailey was here this past weekend, it was so lovely to see someone from home again ! We spent some time relaxing, she had already made a long and tiring tour of Europe, so it was my job to slow things down a bit for a calm weekend.  We caught up, we saw a castle (la Couvertoirade), we went to the beach and the mountains. It was perfect and so nice to have someone here for a weekend. She's getting ready for her big girl job, and it made me think of how much I'd like to be done myself, at least for a little bit, then it's back to student life eventually.  Anyway, I've run out of thoughts and updates, and I'm getting myself ready to take off for Paris, but some of my thoughts will be of those warm sandy beaches on Lake Michigan, a mystery in hand, and a family I love.

Bisous to all !

Kelsy

PS Seriously... those donuts? in their paper bag, warm and fresh, with cold, fresh off the tap cider to wash them down, sometimes it's great to be an American ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...