Monday, January 25, 2010

Ahhhh...Medieval Paris

This past weekend was incredibly busy, my legs are still keeping up with me, how? I do not know.  I'm not sure if I have mentioned this yet, but in Paris you don't just walk. If you're only walking, you're being disrespectful to your fellow parisians.  No. Here, we move like the birds with a tail wind, but birds who have perhaps had too much to drink and are perpetually saying "pardon!," as we dodge and bump into each other searching for our destination.

Starting...Friday? This weekend was a tour de force of Medieval Paris (or Moyen Age). Starting with the catacombs. So our metro stop for school is also the metro stop for the infamous Parisian catacombs, created in the 19th century to curb the overwhelming spread of disease and horrible smell.  Over 6 million bodies' worth of bones are stacked down there, are you drawn in yet? Leg bones, skulls, arm bones, and all other accoutrements of decayed and decomposed bodies are fingertips away as you walk through the wet, cramped halls of the catacombs.  I wasn't supposed to...BUT, I touched a skull! Ah!
Sometimes the bones were arranged in patterns, sometimes they were just piled on each other one after another. All in all it's a very strange feeling to be surrounded in open air by the remains of millions of people.  Illegal flash pictures follow:




Saturday: We went to Saint Denis, which is located quite far outside of the centre-ville of paris, but was well worth the trip.  It was a tad rainy, no surprise here (it's january in Paris), and I can't even tell you how cold it was inside that cathedral. My toes were about to fall off. However, the beauty of the church itself and its history made up for the fact that the church interior was at least 10 degrees colder than the exterior, rainy street. Like I said in my last post, Saint Denis has all the intrigue one needs to visit it, so here are some pictures:



Now. You're probably wondering, why is there only one tower? Why isn't it symmetrical? Well, it was more or less symmetrical when they first built it, but alas lightning hit it (such chance!) and it is now comme ça. Later Saturday night some friends and I went to a bar on Rue de Lappe (the bar street of Bastille) called Bar à Nenette.  My review? Great! Cheap wine, great atmosphere, and fantastic people watching, exactly the kind of location I wish to seek for amusements in Paris.

So. Sunday rolls around, what do I wanna do? I want to experience more of medieval cathedrals in Paris, and where else could you find such a place...why, Notre Dame! With two fabulous ladies, Sarah and Carrie, we set our sights on tackling the cathedrale that most everyone knows, even if they haven't seen it.  Now, this turned out to be no ordinary day at Notre Dame because we happened upon an organ concert. At first when we saw the sign, we thought, 'oh! cool! There's going to be a mini recital, I wonder where we'll find it...let's walk around and wait for things to get going.'  So 16h30 (4:30) rolls around and all of a sudden...it happened.  There may be only one other moment in my life that I have felt the same thing that I felt when that organ started to play and that is when Carl Grapentine announces "Ladies and Gentlemen...Presenting the Michigan Marching Band. Bannnndddddd, Take the Field!" It's a feeling of complete and utter excitement mixed with a tiny bit of anxiety as well as, hmm...awe? Yes. Awe. We promptly took seats in the nave and listened for an hour to a fantastic repertoire that both highlighted the quality of Notre Dame's organ as well as the technique of the organist. I digress. Here are pictures:
 

Alright, I think I've sufficiently provided you with some food for thought.  London this weekend to see Daddio, which means I don't have to pay for dinner, whoohoo! Don't tell him that.

kels

6 comments:

  1. I digest? or digress? Thanks for sharing - it's almost like being there with you and the pictures are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you request Free Bird at the organ concert? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very amusing Kelsy - I like the comparison between the M Marching Band and Notre Dame! I was in Calais last week finding internships for M students and back in Languedoc in February. I hope you are reading up on Jean-Claude and the wine industry so you can hit the terroir running. How are you enjoying speaking French? How do you find the difference between the labguage as she is taught and the language as she is spoken. Are you fluent in contemporary Parigot?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salut Jonathan!

    I have definitely been on the Arrogant Frog blog keeping updated as well as staying in touch with Brigitte here and there. I LOVE, capital letters, France. I enjoy speaking, although it can sometimes be difficult to understand fast moving french! As she is taught and as she is in reality? I'd have to say it's an entirely new experience...Parigot, I'd say I'm workin' on it. Amusez-vous bien in Languedoc!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...